Monday, March 31, 2008

The Precious Promise

The following is an excerpt from Elder Maxwell's discourse entitled, The Precious Promise which he gave in 2002. The whole talk is stunning, but I found this to be particularly insightful as I listened during my drive home from work today:

"The traits of character to be focused on are all interactive, and they hasten the development of each other. Paul notes one spiritual sequence when he says, 'Tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope,' and hope brings more of the love of God (Romans 5:3–4). If you and I will meekly submit to 'our light affliction,' whatever it is, this will lead later to a far greater 'weight of glory' (2 Corinthians 4:17)."

It is easy for one to say to himself, "That's just not one of my strengths," and therefore he fools himself into thinking that a particular weakness is not mutable. It is true that God has given us various talents and, in contrast, certain weaknesses. As we focus eradicating our weaknesses of character, we inevitably work on our entire spiritual self. It's nice to know, then, that as I strive to develop more patience, I also foster increased love, etc.

1 comment:

Spence said...

I like this new blog Dan. I really appreciated this post and it hit home with me right now and some of the things we are going through as a family.

From what little I know about you, I can tell that this process has begun within you a long time ago. I'm sure you can see it in yourself, but it shows on the outside as well.

But just as with knowledge, the more we know the more we realize we don't know that much, the closer we become to turning into the men Father wants us to be...it becomes easier to see how far off we really are. The difference is, by coming closer to Christ we have ever increasing faith that all these things that hold us back will pass away and we will become the beings we are designed to be.

Have you ever read C.S. Lewis' essay entitled "The Weight of Glory?"